When you hire a car transporter to move your vehicle, you will have to pay certain car transport rates based on the overall weight of your vehicle. For that reason, make sure that your car weighs as little as it possibly can before you load it onto the transport truck. While there are some things that you cannot take off of your vehicle, there are a few things that you can do to bring the weight down a bit which can reduce the fee that you pay related to the service.
- Run the gas tank near empty. Fuel weighs more than you think, so if you avoid filling the tank up and you ship the car with less than a quarter of a tank, you can reduce the weight of the vehicle before it is shipped.
- Make sure to remove anything that you can from the vehicle and avoid moving things inside the car so that you are not adding extra weight to your shipment.
- Remove anything that you purposefully added to the vehicle such as stereo equipment and ornaments. While it might not add up to a lot of weight, every little bit helps when you are looking to reduce car transport rates.
Get Multiple Quotes
Another way to save money on your car shipping service is to get quotes from multiple companies who offer such a service. By getting multiple quotes, you are able to compare different car transporters and their costs, as well as what they offer. At the same time, make sure that you are dealing with a reputable company so that you don’t have to worry about things going wrong or getting caught in a scam by a company that you did not really look into. Remember the following when hiring a car shipping company.
- Always ask around to see if anyone near you or online has had trouble with the companies that you are considering. This will help you avoid scams when it comes to shipping your car.
- Always check into the company you are considering to make sure that they have the appropriate licenses and certifications to ship vehicles across state lines legally.
- Never let yourself get strong armed into signing on with a company. Many brokers and representatives that offer quotes often try to push consumers into a service by offering a deal. Be careful when dealing with these people so you do not give up any of your rights.
Take Your Time
Perhaps the best way to lower your car transport rates is to take your time and really do your research when searching for the perfect car transport carrier. There are plenty out there to choose from, so if you don’t like the prices or the services offered by one company, you can always look at other companies in the area. Not only will this allow you to find a company that you really do like working with, but it will help you reduce the amount of money that you pay for this service. Of course you will still have to pay for shipping a car to a new place, but in the end you can save hundreds of dollars by remembering these simple things. And with the economic forecast calling for some future rain, saving money is more important than ever. So don’t pay more than you need to in order to ship a vehicle; heed these tips and come out on top even when you think you’ll be absorbing another expense.